Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Blogging in the Kingdoms

Here are a couple interesting blog entries by friends about blogging in the Arab world: from kinziblogs with some interesting comments by the very Jordanians effected, and about a Saudi blogger whose neighbors can't see what he writes.

I feel somewhat protected by being an American in Jordan, which depends heavily on American funds to run its government and its economy, and is therefore loathe to offend the American public. However, rest assured, it has crossed my mind more than once that blogging in this part of the world is not without risk.

I filter my writing carefully anyway. I know that friends, family and potential employers all have access to my blogs, as well as the friends, family and current or potential employers of those whom I mention in my blog. I definitely don't want to offend those people, who are important to me, nor jeapordize their personal or business relationships. I also have a definite agenda to help Westerners see this region in a more sympathetic, positive light.

All of this, however, is about my own personal concerns. As a US American, as a humanist, and as a writer, I find government control of information appalling.

2 comments:

Mariyah, thanks for the link! I've enjoyed glancing through your last posts recently; maybe someday we could meet over coffee. Or have that blogger cookie party soon...:)

12:04 PM  

I'm sure I know you from somewhere, and I'm very glad you're enjoying my blog, but for the life of me I cannot put your pseudonym to a face! We should definitely do coffe, though. I really enjoy your posts as well, and can tell that we have a lot in common.

1:09 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home